At Hanover, theology students develop the skills needed to address the complex moral and ethical issues facing the world today. Maybe you seek to better understand your religious experiences as you chart your future course. Maybe you want to better understand yourself, God and your responsibility to society. Small, seminar-style classes encourage you to develop your own way of thinking. Although you will explore a wide range of religious faiths and practices, our classes and personal expertise fall primarily within the Christian tradition. At Hanover, you learn to use theological tools to assess moral choices and determine your course of action.
Where theological study leads
Many Hanover graduates decide to serve God as:
- Healthcare professionals
- And through a wide range of other professions
What do theological studies majors study?
Theology majors can choose among a wide variety of courses, including:
- Theology and the arts
- Theological perspectives on nature
- Sexual ethics and the Christian tradition
- The history of Christian thought
- Faith in fantasy and fiction
- Emerging theologies
- Geography of the Holy Lands
Previous graduates' career and professional placements have included:
- Professor of Religion, Davidson College
- Pastor, Ovid Federated Church, Ovid, NY
- Associate Pastor, Westminster Presbyterian Church, Greenville, SC
- Case Manager, Madison Center for Children
- Producer and DJ at 88.5 FM WJIE/ 680 AM WJIE
- Director of Management Recruiting, Bistro Management
- Attorney at Law, Professor in I.U. Kelley School of Business
- House Manager, Lutheran Social Services
"The primary strength of the Theological Studies department at Hanover College is without question the outstanding faculty. Not only are they extremely intelligent and passionate about their subject, but are also truly joyful, giving, inspiring people."
Kyle Gobel '06
- Owner/Director, Little Friends Pre-School, Crown Point, IN
- English Teacher
- Owner of Lorien House Publishing Company, Black Mountain, NC
Seminary placements have included:
- Harvard Divinity School
- Princeton Theological Seminary
- Duke Divinity School
- Vanderbilt University Divinity School
- Emory University, Candler School of Theology
- Wake Forest Seminary
- Louisville Presbyterian Seminary
Graduate school placements have included:
- Indiana University Law School
- Indiana University, Kelly School of Business
- University of Louisville Law School
- Notre Dame
- University of Virginia
- University of Iowa
- Jane Parker Huber '48
is a writer of numerous hymns in The Presbyterian Hymnal and a consultant for the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.).
- Dr. Thom Mayer '73
is the Chairman of the Department of Emergency medicine at Fairfax Hospital in Falls Church, Virginia.
- Dr. Karl A. Plank '74
is Professor of Religion at Davidson College in Davidson, North Carolina, and he is the author of Paul and the Irony of Affliction and Mother of the Wire Fence: Inside and Outside the Holocaust.
- Brian Snyder '81
is the Executive Director of William J. Gould Assoc., Inc., in Monterey, Massachusetts.
- The Rev. J. Lynn James '85
is the Director of Counseling at Northwest Action Against Rape in Arlington Heights, Illinois.
- Raymond Shelburn '96
is a teacher at Roncalli High School in Indianapolis, Indiana.
It's quick & easy: apply online now.
Browse the courses you'll be taking.
… life at Hanover like?
Find your Counselor
Get in touch with your Admission Counselor directly.
Read up on first hand experiences of current students.
See the latest photos from around Hanover.