Transfer, AP, Dual & Additional Credit

Transfer Credit

Courses of the type offered by Hanover College, but completed at other accredited academic institutions, may be accepted for credit at Hanover. Transfer credits are applied toward the total number of course units required for graduation and may, in some cases, be used to satisfy requirements for the liberal arts degree, major, or minor program.

The determination of the acceptability of courses for transfer to Hanover and of their suitability for satisfying liberal arts degree or major requirements is the responsibility of the Registrar and the Faculty of the College.

Students have responsibility for collecting and presenting the documentation (course records, syllabi, etc.) necessary for the Registrar and/or appropriate faculty members to make informed credit decisions.

Transfer credit will be identified on the student's Hanover transcript with a notation designating the institution at which the credit was earned and the total number of credits transferred. Grades earned in courses transferred for credit will not be included in the calculation of any grade point averages at Hanover unless specifically authorized by the Faculty, as in the case of approved off-campus study programs.

Students currently enrolled at Hanover College who wish to receive transfer credit for courses taken at other academic institutions (e.g. in summer school programs) should secure approval from their faculty advisor and the Registrar before taking the course. Without prior approval, no assurance of transfer credit can be made.

Hanover College grants transfer credit for courses completed at other institutions under the following conditions:

  • The transferring institution must be fully accredited by The Higher Learning Commission (North Central Association) or a similar regional accrediting agency.
  • The coursework must be representative of the "Liberal Arts." Coursework taken at other Liberal Arts Colleges or at Colleges of Arts and Sciences at Universities is generally acceptable.
  • The coursework must have received a grade of C- or better, or the equivalent.

The conversion of semester hours or quarter hours to Hanover units is as follows:

3 or 4 Semester Hours = 1 Hanover Unit; 2 semester hours = 0.5 Hanover unit; 1 semester hour courses = 0.25 Hanover unit; 5 or 6 quarter hours = 1 Hanover unit.

Courses taken at approved off-campus study programs will receive full Hanover College units of credit for satisfactory completion of work and will count toward calculation of grade point averages.

Advanced Placement (AP) Credit

Advanced Placement courses taken in high school under the College Entrance Examination Board program will be recognized as follows: 

If a student has earned a 4 or 5 in an Advanced Placement course, full credit will be given, provided the course meets relevant Hanover College prerequisite and graduation requirements.

If a student has earned a 3 in an Advanced Placement course, the decision as to acceptance for credit will lie with the department concerned, which may read and evaluate the student's Advanced Placement course examination. It is the student's responsibility to present his or her case to the department.

Currently Accepted AP Credits (PDF)

Dual Credit

Hanover College will accept dual-credit courses as elective transfer credits upon request by the student entering the college.  The courses may be used to satisfy LADR requirements when deemed equivalent or suitable.  The courses may also satisfy requirements within a major or minor, with departmental approval.

International Baccalaureate (IB) Credit

Credit is granted for courses taken on the Higher Level under the International Baccalaureate program provided that the student earns a score of six or above on the qualifying exam. Both credit and satisfactory completion of the LADR requirement will be awarded. 

A score of five will be considered upon student appeal to the Registrar. The appropriate Hanover College department will review the material and make a determination. If accepted, then credit and/or a waiver of a LADR will be awarded in accordance with departmental recommendation.

Courses that are not equivalent to LADR or major courses may earn elective credit. No credit will be awarded for courses taken on the Standard Level.