Welcome to the International Programs! Hanover College is one of the most significant experiences a international student can have and Hanover is an ideal place in which a student can do it. Here at Hanover you have the unique opportunity to engage with international students and Americans alike. The friends you meet will become your family during your time here; share in an American Thanksgiving meal with your host family, visit friends’ homes in and outside of Indiana, and in doing so broaden your horizons both geographically and culturally.
As an international student, you are an ambassador from your home country and represent a new perspective in the United States. Hanover College encourages you to share your background on three levels: within the Hanover College community, the town of Hanover community, and the Madison community at large. International students are expected to share their culture within these communities by taking part in campus activities, participating in service projects, and developing public speaking skills by communicating with peers here at Hanover College.
At Hanover College, you have the opportunity to make a difference in all three levels of this community. You must be an active participant to represent yourself and home country well. Hanover small class sizes, close student-professor communication, and proximity to the big cities like Indianapolis, Indiana, Louisville, Kentucky, and Cincinnati, OH will help you positively influence the college, town of Hanover, and Madison as a whole. Take advantage of all the opportunities to reveal your individual talents and experiences through classes, student organizations, residence hall life, and campus events. Hanover will provide you exciting ways to achieve your goals and to influence our increasingly globalized world.
- Students will develop cross-cultural competencies in their academic field and be aware of the impact global pressures have on local communities.
- Students will learn intercultural skills locally which can be applied in broader, international settings.
- Students will develop proficiency in other cultures (including language) and will build skills to integrate and apply concepts and practices across cognitive, affective, academic, and cultural boundaries.
- Students will interact with diverse people in the local and international communities to develop and hone transferrable intercultural skills through the application of academic theories and practical skills.
- Students will become global citizens by giving to the local and international communities in which they live through service and volunteerism.
- Students will learn to see ambiguity and difference as opportunities for learning when in multicultural settings.
The Office of International Programs provides mandatory orientation session for all new international students at the start of every fall semester. During the orientation, students will receive crucial information that will help them adjust to Hanover College life in the U.S. Topics include student life, academic advising, course registration, housing, opening a bank account, international student responsibilities, and much more. All new international students must attend orientation. After students are accepted, they should receive an email from our office to inform them of the orientation schedule and dates. Therefore, accepted students must arrive in Louisville, Kentucky or Indianapolis, Indiana before the orientation to attend all of the orientation events.
There are many financial institutions in the United States, each with its own policies, procedures, and charges. If you would like to open a bank account, it is important to shop around among financial institutions and choose the institution that fits your needs.
The most popular banks among international students in Hanover are Main Source and River Valley Financial Bank. During Orientation, the Office of International Programs invites representatives from each institution on campus for a banking session.
We strongly encourage students to discuss their banking needs in person with bank representatives.
Required Documents for Opening a Bank Account
Make sure you have the following documents with you when you go to the banking session:
- I-20 and I-94
- Proof of address on campus
- Copy of your Hanover College ID card
You cannot open a bank account without these documents.