fall term to begin August 24Updated July 31
Hanover College's 2020-21 academic year is scheduled to begin Monday, August, 24, with face-to-face classes on campus.
Hanover’s return to on-campus instruction continues to be informed by national, state and local officials, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health. Using a strategic, measured approach, protocols are in development to support three broad areas areas, including health and safety of the campus community, academic success and student life and experience.
Health and Safety
To better equip the College to handle potential community health issues, Hanover’s health and safety protocols will include:
- expanded opportunities to address mental and physical health needs through a partnership with TimelyMD, a telehealth provider.
- relocation of Health Services to a less-congested campus location.
- development of procedures for testing, quarantine and isolation (if needed).
- modified dining arrangements through Parkhurst Dining, Hanover’s food-service provider, to support food-safety and enable social distancing.
- requirement of face-coverings or other personal protective equipment in common areas.
- installation of protective shields/barriers for customer service/transaction locations and additional hand-sanitizer stations throughout campus.
- enhanced disinfectant protocols, including a disinfectant specialist, provided through WFF Facility Services, the College’s custodial contractor, to ensure all campus and high-traffic areas are regularly and thoroughly disinfected.
- staggered campus move-in days with a requirement for face-coverings.
- suspended study-abroad courses for the fall term.
The August 24 starting date, two weeks earlier than the College's traditional Labor Day beginning to the academic year, will allow flexibility for face-to-face instruction to be completed by Thanksgiving.
To help ensure the academic success of its students, Hanover's academic protocols will include:
- requirement of face-coverings or other personal protective equipment in all face-to-face classes.
- requirement of social distancing indoors and during face-to-face classes.
- faculty training for enhanced online instruction capabilities.
Campus Life and Experience
The College is committed to providing a memorable, on-campus experience for its students to the extent possible with respect to the COVID-19 pandemic. Hanover's effort to support student life and a "real" campus experience include:
- housing arrangements and protocols to maximize togetherness that prioritizes student health and safety.
- creative social activities that will enable student interaction while maintaining adequate physical distancing.
- innovative virtual events to keep students connected and safe.
- safe intercollegiate athletic programs in coordination with the National Collegiate Athletic Association and the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference.
CDC Covid-19 Resources
Learn more about COVID-19 at the Center for Disease Control website.