At Hanover, the study of a modern language is rooted in activities and readings that will help you see the world with the perspective of another culture. You’ll learn to use language as a tool that connects cultures, business and individuals.
Eat, sleep and drink Spanish for a full semester at La Universidad del Valle de Atemajac (UNIVA) in Guadalajara, Mexico, or La Universidad de Castilla-La Mancha in Ciudad Real, Spain. Short-term opportunities are available as well, as past students have used May Term to study in Alcala de Henares, Spain; Mérida and Mexico.
“After taking my first Spanish class at Hanover, I knew I wanted to continue my studies with the language. Not only would I be able to communicate with my future patients if needed to, but also the professors were so passionate about the material they presented that the classes became my favorite “Jennifer Dumaine ’15
A number of extracurricular activities provide opportunities for you to enrich your language and social experiences at Hanover. The Hora de Café, held every month, is a chance for you to chat informally in Spanish. Members of el Club de Español enjoy dining, cooking, dancing, entertainment, and other events and activities from Spanish-speaking cultures.
Students also can put their language skills to use and lend a helping hand with La Casa Amiga, a Madison-based not-for-profit organization that provides volunteer support services for local Latino residents. Hanover student volunteers especially enjoy the participation in the bilingual story hour and ESL classes.
WHAT DO SPANISH MAJORS STUDY?
- Spanish language classes
- Spanish conversation and culture
- Spanish literature
- And other topics that interest you, from film studies to Spanish-American literature to Spanish colonization
Previous graduates’ career and professional placements have included:
- Eastern Regional Director, Association of International Student Exchange (New York)
- Program Coordinator, Institute for Study Abroad, Butler University (Indianapolis)
- Correspondent Volunteer Administrator, Amigos de las Américas (NGO) (Houston)
- Manager of Customer Service, ADS International (Santiago, Chile)
- Fourth Grade ESL teacher, Washington Heights (New York City)
Graduate school placements have included:
- Brandeis School of Law (University of Louisville)
- College of William & Mary
- New York University
- University of Louisville
- Indiana University Medical School