Consumer Complaints

A Place to Belong. A Person to Become.


Hanover College is committed to a set of core Principles that seek “to promote academic, personal, and moral growth within a safe, challenging, and responsive community.” Accountability is a key pillar of these Principles. We take seriously our responsibility to follow both the letter and the spirit of state and federal laws and to treat everyone in our community with justice, fairness, and respect.

Students who have concerns about their treatment, the college’s policies and/or procedures, about the college’s compliance with accreditation standards and/or state and federal law may seek redress of the grievances below:


The college’s Accessibility policies, procedures, and complaints processes may be found on the Accessibility Services page. In short, students who have concerns about classroom accommodations should first contact the Accessibility Services Coordinator to describe the nature of the concerns and to discuss a remedy.

Accessibility Coordinator
Gladish Center for Teaching and Learning
(812) 866-6840

If this process is not satisfactory, students may then file a written appeal with the college’s Appeals Officer. The written appeal should state the nature of the concern and the desired resolution. It should be addressed to:

Director of Health Services
Christy Ownbey
Brown Campus Center 302
(812) 866-6101

The Appeals Officer will respond in writing to students’ concerns within two weeks.

If students still are not satisfied, they may contact the Vice President and Dean of Academic Affairs, 204 Long Administration Building, 495 College Avenue, Hanover College, Hanover, IN 47243.

Students also have the right at any time to contact the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. The OCR is charged with enforcing civil rights legislation pertaining to educational institutions, including the American’s with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. The OCR offers assistance on technical problems, policy questions, and methods for preventing civil rights abuse. Its complaint resolution process is available to everyone. Complaints may be filed online at


Students who believe that the evaluation of their work by a faculty member is unfair or inaccurate may follow the appeal procedure outlined in the college’s course catalog.

For more information on grade appeals, students may also contact:

Bill Tereshko, Registrar
104 Long Administration Building
(812) 866-6750


It is the policy of Hanover College to comply with Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, which prohibits discrimination (including sexual harassment and sexual violence) based on sex in the College’s educational programs and activities. Title IX also prohibits retaliation for asserting or otherwise participating in claims of sex discrimination.

Hanover has designated Title IX Coordinators to coordinate Hanover’s compliance with and response to inquiries concerning Title IX.

To file a complaint or to ask questions about Title IX please contact:

For Student on Student cases:
Casey Heckler, Title IX Coordinator

For Staff, Faculty & Vendor Issues:
Heather Buhr, Deputy Title IX Coordinator

Procedures for filing a formal Title IX grievance with the college may be found online (PDF)

A person may also file a complaint with the Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights regarding an alleged violation of Title IX by visiting: the U.S. Department of Education’s website or calling 1-800-421-3481. Students also may file a complaint online at

For more information about Title IX, visit the U.S. Department of Education’s website.


The “Program Integrity Rule” amendment of Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 2011 requires that colleges and universities have complaints systems that allow students to address violations of consumer protection laws regarding fraud and false advertising, state laws regulating the licensure of post-secondary institutions, and complaints regarding educational quality and/or standards for accreditation.

The processes outlined here helps the college follow federal and state guidelines and our own core Principles by ensuring that consumer complaints are correctly routed, addressed in a timely fashion, and tracked so that we may gather information and improve our policies and procedures.

As a first step, students should first communicate directly with personnel in the appropriate department. Hanover strives to meet the needs of its students, and concerns often can be resolved through informal means. For concerns in the following areas, please contact:

Academic Affairs

Carey Adams
Provost & Vice President for Academic Affairs
202 Long Administration Building
(812) 866-7005

Lynn Hall
Vice President for Athletics
209 Horner Center
(812) 866-7385

Business Office
Vince Morris
Vice President for Business Affairs
101 Long Administration Building
(812) 866-7038

Financial Aid
Heather Buhr
Director of Student Financial Services
206 Long Administration Building
(812) 866-7029

Levett Career Center
Jenny Moss
Executive Director of the Levett Career Center
135 Hendricks Hall
(812) 866-7397

Student Life
Dewain Lee
Vice President and Dean of Student Life
215 Brown Campus Center
(812) 866-7075

If, after a conversation with the appropriate personnel, students wish to file a formal complaint, they may fill out the online consumer complaints form below and attach appropriate documentation. A representative of the college will respond within four weeks and will make a good-faith effort to resolve the complaint.

Important note: This form should be used only for student consumer complaints. It is not meant to replace existing grievance procedures for Title IX and sexual harassment complaints, grade appeals, or issues regarding classroom accessibility. For these concerns, students should follow the procedures outlined under those headings on this page.


Whenever possible, we encourage that incidents are resolved directly with the staff or department involved. Often a complaint can be resolved in this way. However, if an informal approach is neither successful or advisable, a Complaint Form should be submitted.

I am…
Regarding which department?

Statement of Complaint

The Complaint Form should be submitted immediately. This generally ensures the availability of all parties involved in the complaint. When completing the Complaint Form, the reporter is expected to respond to all of the following questions as it relates to the complaint.
What is the best way to contact you regarding your complaint?(Required)

Supporting Documentation

Up to 3 supporting documents (jpg, png, gif, docx, doc, pdf, txt, msg) may be uploaded. If you have issues uploading your documentation, please send it directly to Kay Stokes at
Max. file size: 64 MB.
Max. file size: 64 MB.
Max. file size: 64 MB.


Hanover is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC) and the Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP) and regulated by Indiana state and U.S. federal law. Students also may contact our accrediting bodies and the state and federal departments of education with complaints.

The Higher Learning Commission:
The Higher Learning Commission accredits post-secondary educational entities in 19 states, working to ensure that schools meet standards for teaching and learning, ethical and responsible conduct, adherence to core mission and values, and effective planning and resource management.

Students with complaints about the college’s ability to meet the HLC Criterion for Accreditation may contact the Higher Learning Commission.

Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation:
Hanover’s teacher-certification programs for elementary and secondary education is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). Students who have concerns about Hanover’s teacher education programs may contact CAEP at:

Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation
2010 Massachusetts Ave NW
Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036
(202) 223-0077

Indiana Commission for Higher Education:
According to its website, the commission is “responsible for responding to formal complaints against public, independent non-profit and proprietary institutions of higher education in Indiana. While the Commission has limited authority over colleges and universities, and cannot offer legal advice or initiate civil court cases, Commission staff will review submitted complaints and work with student complainants and institutions.”

Students may contact the ICHC regarding complaints of discrimination, denial of Indiana state financial aid, violations of state and federal law, and other issues at

National Council for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA):

SARA is a national consortium that sets standards for on-line courses and distance education at colleges and universities and ensures consistency and accountability across state lines. It is a voluntary organization which uses states, districts, and territories as the “portal agencies” for organization and governance. States and institutions who participate in SARA agree to follow best practices and common national standards.

Students who have grievances about on-line courses and distance education at Hanover College may file a complaint with the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, the state portal agency for SARA.

U.S. Department of Education:
Students have the right at any time to contact the U.S. Department of Education’s Office for Civil Rights. The OCR is charged with enforcing civil rights legislation pertaining to educational institutions. The OCR offers assistance on technical problems, policy questions, and methods for preventing civil rights abuse. Its complaint resolution process is available to everyone.

If you have a complaint that you feel has not be effectively resolved through the college’s internal channels, you may contact the regional OCR office at:

Office for Civil Rights/Chicago
U.S. Department of Education
Citigroup Center
500 W. Madison Street
Suite 1475
Chicago, IL 60661
Tel.: (312) 730-1560
Fax: (312) 730-1576
TDD: 312-730-1609
or 1-877-521-2172

Students also may file a complaint online at

Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education (CAPTE)

Any student/individual who would like to file a complaint with CAPTE regarding what appears to be the DPT Program’s inability to meet an evaluative criterion may do so by following the directions provided on the CAPTE website or may call the Department of Accreditation of APTA at 703-706-3245.

  1. If a member of the DPT faculty is approached by a student, consumer, or clinical facility staff member regarding the desire to file a complaint with CAPTE, assistance will be provided to direct that party to the above website or phone number.
  2. Upon receipt of the complaint from CAPTE, the Program Director will inform the Director of Human Resources and the Provost/VPAA. The DPT Program Director will make very attempt to investigate the complaint, reach compliance, and report findings back to CAPTE.
  3. The DPT Program Grievance Policy and Procedures are supplemental to the Hanover College Grievance Procedures.

Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE)

Any individual who would like to file a complaint with ACOTE regarding the OTD Program may do so by following the directions provided on the ACOTE website or may call the ACOTE at 301-652-6611.